Quick summary: This lesson is designed for a flipped classroom, where students learn new content by watching a video in their own time. This strategy provides the opportunity for students to build their knowledge, attitudes and values by themselves, thereby freeing up class time for hands-on work.
- Students recognise ways that science and art can be used in collaboration.
- Students build their thinking and questioning skills.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 7 Science
- Science knowledge can develop through collaboration and connecting ideas across the disciplines of science (ACSHE223)
Year 8 Science
- People use understanding and skills from across the disciplines of science in their occupations (ACSHE227)
Year 9 Science
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE160)
Year 10 Science
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE194)
Year 7 & 8 Visual Arts
- Analyse how artists use visual conventions in artworks (ACAVAR123)
- Identify and connect specific features and purposes of visual artworks from contemporary and past times to explore viewpoints and enrich their art-making, starting with Australian artworks including those of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (ACAVAR124)
Year 9 & 10 Visual Arts
- Evaluate how representations communicate artistic intentions in artworks they make and view to inform their future art making (ACAVAR130)
- Analyse a range of visual artworks from contemporary and past times to explore differing viewpoints and enrich their visual art-making, starting with Australian artworks, including those of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, and consider international artworks (ACAVAR131)
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – allow students to explore the topic independently.
Resources required: Internet, laptops and earphones, Student Worksheet.
Key words: Art, science, crochet, coral, photography.
Artists used in this resource:
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.