Quick summary: In this activity students will explore some of the key points and issues around climate change, global warming and the greenhouse effect. Students working in groups to each explore one question around climate change, global warming and the greenhouse effect. Each group will create a poster, presentation or diagram to share their research with the rest of the class.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Students gain a deeper understanding of climate change, the greenhouse effect and global warming, and recognise the differences between these three concepts.
- Students understand that these issues are complex yet interconnected and have a range of causes and consequences.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 10 Science
- Global systems, including the carbon cycle, rely on interactions involving the biosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere (ACSSU189)
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE194)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS206)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose, including constructing evidence-based arguments and using appropriate scientific language, conventions and representations (ACSIS208)
Syllabus outcomes: SC5-13ES, SC5-7WS, SC5-8WS, SC5-9WS, SC5-12ES.
Topic: Climate change
Time required: 1 hour plus time to present.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – oversee activity
Resources required: Internet access, PowerPoint or poster making materials, student worksheet.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for homework or extension.
Keywords: Climate change, global warming, greenhouse effect.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.