La Trobe University Aspire Generation
La Trobe University’s Aspire Generation connects a community of young people who aspire to make a difference through community service and leadership. They are the givers, the dreamers, the doers and the leaders who passionately pursue opportunities to address the big issues of their time. They think boldly, act responsibly and strive to leave a lasting impact on the world.
The Aspire Generation Taking Action Toolkit
The aim of this toolkit is to provide guidance for students to take positive action in their community that will have a meaningful and lasting impact.
The toolkit won’t tell students what action they should take – that’s up to them and is dependent on the difference that they want to make. Instead, this toolkit will help students with the ‘how’ of creating positive change.
The toolkit’s phases incorporate principles and activities based on ideas in project-based learning, design thinking and community engagement projects. Advise students to follow the phases sequentially – they will help to ensure that their action is meaningful and helpful to both themselves and the community.
The Aspire Generation Taking Action Student Toolkit is divided into the following sections:
- Part 1 – What are Community Service and Volunteering?
- Part 2 – My Vision for the Community
- Part 3 – Problem Finding: What are the Issues Faced by the Community?
- Part 4 – Synthesising: What did I Uncover?
- Part 5 – Deciding How to Take Action
- Part 6 – Planning for Action
- Part 7 – Taking Action
- Part 8 – Reflecting on Action: What Now?