Quick summary: In this activity students observe and collect data to explain how energy is consumed in their classroom. This activity is divided into two parts:
- Students look at how the appliances in their classroom are used.
- Students explore how the classroom temperature is affected by appliances and the weather outside, and look at what options they have for controlling the classroom temperature.
Finally, students develop an energy management plan and make recommendations on how to save energy in their classroom based upon the data they collected.
NOTE: Although this activity has been created in support of the ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic program you will not meet the data goals of the program through this activity.
This activity has been created to give younger students – for whom the official energy audit would be too complex – an opportunity to participate in the energy component of the ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic program. To gain accreditation your school will still need to complete the more complex energy audit.
Australian Curriculum Links:
Cross curriculum priorities
Sustainability – OI.6 – The sustainability of ecological, social and economic systems is achieved through informed individual and community action that values local and global equity and fairness across generations into the future.
Numeracy, Critical and creative thinking, Ethical understanding
Explicit content description
Mathematics Year 1
- Develop confidence with number sequences to and from 100 by ones from any starting point. Skip count by twos, fives and tens starting from zero (ACMNA012)
- Tell time to the half-hour (ACMMG020)
Geography Year 1
- Collect data and information from observations and identify information and data from sources provided (ACHASSI019)
- Reflect on learning to propose how to care for places and sites that are important or significant (ACHASSI026)
Science Year 1
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE022)
English Year 1
- Engage in conversations and discussions, using active listening behaviours, showing interest, and contributing ideas, information and questions (ACELY1656)
Mathematics Year 2
- Tell time to the quarter-hour, using the language of ‘past’ and ‘to’ (ACMMG039)
Science Year 2
- People use science in their daily lives, including when caring for their environment and living things (ACSHE035)
- Earth’s resources, including water, are used in a variety of ways (ACSSU032)
Geography Year 2
- Collect data and information from observations and identify information and data from sources provided (ACHASSI035)
- Reflect on learning to propose how to care for places and sites that are important or significant (ACHASSI042)
English Year 2
- Listen for specific purposes and information, including instructions, and extend students’ own and others’ ideas in discussions (ACELY1666)
Mathematics Year 3
- Tell time to the minute and investigate the relationship between units of time (ACMMG062)
Science Year 3
- Heat can be produced in many ways and can move from one object to another (ACSSU049)
Geography Year 3
- Reflect on learning to propose actions in response to an issue or challenge and consider possible effects of proposed actions (ACHASSI060)
Mathematics Year 4
- Use scaled instruments to measure and compare lengths, masses, capacities and temperatures (ACMMG084)
Geography Year 4
- Reflect on learning to propose actions in response to an issue or challenge and consider possible effects of proposed actions (ACHASSI081)
Syllabus Outcomes: GE1-3, GE2-4, ST1-11LW, ST1-9ES, ST2-6PW, EN1-1A, MA1‑1WM, MA1‑2WM, MA1‑3WM, MA1‑4NA, MA1‑6NA, MA1-13MG, MA2-11MG, MA2-12MG, MA2-13MG, MA2-9MG, MA2‑1WM, MA2‑2WM, MA2‑3WM.
Connecting lessons: AuSSI Transport Audit
Resources required: Thermometres or temperature probes, Student Worksheets, Internet access, Energy cheat sheet.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Keywords: Energy, temperature, ventilation, classroom, audit.
Need some more support? Click on these leading organisations