Quick summary: Students create a communication tool to explain what Australians need to do to manage our water for the future. They explain why water is essential for the environment, our health, agriculture and industry. Within their communication tool they explain what they believe are the appropriate solutions.
- Develop a communication tool that can explain Australia’s water issues to a wide audience.
- Communicate what they believe are the appropriate solutions to addressing the future water issues.
- Use their communication tool as part of a presentation.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Science
- Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose, including constructing evidence-based arguments and using appropriate scientific language, conventions and representations(ACSIS174)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS172)
Year 9 English
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that present a point of view and advance or illustrate arguments, including texts that integrate visual, print and/or audio features (ACELY1746)
Year 10 Science
- Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose, including constructing evidence-based arguments and using appropriate scientific language, conventions and representations (ACSIS208)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS206)
Year 10 English
- Create sustained texts, including texts that combine specific digital or media content, for imaginative, informative, or persuasive purposes that reflect upon challenging and complex issues (ACELY1756)
Syllabus outcomes: SC5-7WS, SC5-8WS, SC5-9WS, EN5-1A.
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 60 + mins, plus presentation time.
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography, English.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Facilitate class discussion, assist with research, organise and assess the student presentations.
Resources required: Computers, art material, digital projector or smartboard.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity could be partly set as home work.
Keywords: Water, Discussion, Communication, Presentation, Group, Research, Issue.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.