Quick summary: Students investigate the life cycle of green waste, from tree to bin to resource recovery facility to end product (compost). Students are asked to consider the environmental, economic and social benefits of recycling green waste as opposed to sending it to landfill.
Following these lessons plans is an ideal way for your students and the community to tune in to what happens to green waste once it is collected in a kerbside bin. The Back to Earth initiative is about connecting people with what happens to green waste once it leaves the garden, how it is processed, what it is used for at the end of this cycle and why its important to put the right things into the bin!
Join thousands of others who have learnt about the benefits of using their green waste service correctly, for their communities and for the planet. Don’t forget to check out the Back to Earth initiative website: www.backtoearth.vic.gov.au – to learn more.
- Students understand the environmental risks of sending waste to landfill.
- Students recognise the social, environmental and economic benefits of recycling green waste.
- Students understand life cycle thinking in relation to green waste.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 7 Science
Year 8 Science
- Science and technology contribute to finding solutions to a range of contemporary issues; these solutions may impact on other areas of society and involve ethical considerations (ACSHE135)
Year 7 & 8 Design and Technologies
- Critique needs or opportunities for designing and investigate, analyse and select from a range of materials, components, tools, equipment and processes to develop design ideas (ACTDEP035)
Topic: Back to Earth
Time required: 2 x 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee activity
Digital technology opportunities: Desktop or online animation or movie creation, digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Green waste, kerbside, recycling, life cycle, compost.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.