Quick summary: Students develop a safety code for learning about solid waste.
- Students learn that there are some hazards in learning about waste
- Students understand that developing a safety code for waste makes learning about waste safer for everyone.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 5 English
- Clarify understanding of content as it unfolds in formal and informal situations, connecting ideas to students’ own experiences and present and justify a point of view (ACELY1699)
Year 5 Science
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinions (ACELY1709)
Year 6 Science
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS110)
Syllabus Outcomes: EN3-1A, EN3-2A, EN3-8D.
Topic: Solid waste
Time required: 48 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – lead the activity.
Resources required: Paper and pens.
Digital learning opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: Waste, recycling, safety, school, classroom.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.