Activity details: Students will create solutions to improving local biodiversity issues by suggesting suitable activities for a Bio-harmony festival. Students will come up with an idea that would improve biodiversity and the quality of life in their community. They will create an advertisement to demonstrate the benefits of their plan.
Learning goals for this activity include:
1. Describe ideas that will help our community maintain and enhance biodiversity.
2. Build skills in communication.
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Duration of activity: 60 mins
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography, Civics and Citizenship, English.
Teacher input: Facilitate students in sharing their ideas about an alternative.
Resources needed: Computers or writing material (may be a white board or smartboard).
Homework and extension opportunities: Many tasks could be done at home.
Keywords: Ecosystem, community, biodiversity, issues, Bio-harmony festival.
Australian Curriculum Link:
Year 9 English:
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that present a point of view and advance or illustrate arguments, including texts that integrate visual, print and/or audio features (ACELY1746)
Year 9 Science:
- Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose, including constructing evidence-based arguments and using appropriate scientific language, conventions and representations (ACSIS174)
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE228)
Year 10 English:
- Create sustained texts, including texts that combine specific digital or media content, for imaginative, informative, or persuasive purposes that reflect upon challenging and complex issues (ACELY1756)
Year 10 Science:
- Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose, including constructing evidence-based arguments and using appropriate scientific language, conventions and representations (ACSIS208)
- The values and needs of contemporary society can influence the focus of scientific research (ACSHE230)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-9WS, SC5-11PW, EN5-1A.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.