Quick summary: Students demonstrate their prior learning about biodiversity by contributing to a mural. They will create different elements that can be be found in an ecosystem and place them in the mural.
- Students use prior knowledge to contribute to a mural the kinds of plants and animals that live in several ecosystems.
- Students will scale their images so they reflect size differences in the mural.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 Science
- Living things can be grouped on the basis of observable features and can be distinguished from non-living things (ACSSU044)
Year 3 Mathematics
- Model and represent unit fractions including 1/2, 1/4, 1/3, 1/5 and their multiples to a complete whole (ACMNA058)
Year 4 Science
- Living things, including plants and animals, depend on each other and the environment to survive (ACSSU073)
Year 4 Mathematics
- Investigate equivalent fractions used in contexts (ACMNA077)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST2-10LW, MA2‑1WM, MA2‑3WM, MA2‑7NA.
Year levels: 3 and 4
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 45 mins
Learning areas addressed: The Arts (Visual Arts), Science, Mathematics.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Prepare surface for the mural.
Resources required: Art materials including scissors and paste.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: ecosystem, biodiversity, mural, art, scale.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.