Activity details: Students design and conduct a biodiversity project. Depending on the partner, students might find a location and plan an entire revegetation project.
NB – There are two suggested ‘Considering social action’ projects. This one and ‘Wildlife garden website.’ These are both lengthy projects and most classes will only have time for one of these.
Learning goals for this activity include:
1. Understanding ecosystems can be regenerated.
2. Safely performing activities when doing projects and remaining within the limitations of the school policy.
3. Assisting a community group (partner) with a biodiversity project.
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Duration of activity: Depends on the selected project.
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography, Civics and Citizenship.
Teacher input: Facilitate students in planning, review safety procedures, facilitate communication with partners, inform students about how school policy affects their decisions.
Resources needed: Writing material, computers, possibly a budget to purchase mulch and plants, planting tools.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: Biodiversity, revegetation, planning, ecosystems, plants and animals.
Australian Curriculum Link:
Year 9 Science:
- Ecosystems consist of communities of interdependent organisms and abiotic components of the environment; matter and energy flow through these systems (ACSSU176)
- Plan, select and use appropriate investigation methods, including field work and laboratory experimentation, to collect reliable data; assess risk and address ethical issues associated with these methods (ACSIS165)
Year 10 Science:
- The theory of evolution by natural selection explains the diversity of living things and is supported by a range of scientific evidence (ACSSU185)
- Plan, select and use appropriate investigation methods, including field work and laboratory experimentation, to collect reliable data; assess risk and address ethical issues associated with these methods (ACSIS199)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-5WS, SC5-6WS, SC5-14LW.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.