Quick summary: This lesson is based on Bluey, Season 2, Army. It focuses on the capability of friendship. Begin with a fun getting to know you game. Students then investigate what makes their friends unique using by collecting data via a survey, and filling out biography cards for classmates they want to get to know better.
This is an official Bluey lesson that celebrates the joy and curiosity of Bluey and allows students to build social and emotional intelligence. Most of all it has been designed to inspire creativity and imagination in your students!
Lesson values: This lesson has been designed to provide opportunities for students to explore social and emotional learning through imaginative play. All lessons in the Bluey series are underpinned by a philosophy of play and imagination. In addition, this lesson specifically focuses on…
Click here for a full list of values, and the explanation of our learning philosophy that underpins these lessons.
These lessons have been developed to support social and emotional learning, oral language development and play-based learning. To find out more, click here.
Foundation Year Health and Physical Education:
- Identify personal strengths (ACPPS001)
- Practise personal and social skills to interact positively with others (ACPPS004)
Year 1 – 2 Health and Physical Education:
- Describe their own strengths and achievements and those of others, and identify how these contribute to personal identities (ACPPS015)
- Describe ways to include others to make them feel they belong (ACPPS019)
- Recognise similarities and differences in individuals and groups, and explore how these are celebrated and respected (ACPPS024)
Foundation Year Mathematics:
- Answer yes/no questions to collect information and make simple inferences (ACMSP011)
Year 1 Mathematics:
- Choose simple questions and gather responses and make simple inferences (ACMSP262)
- Represent data with objects and drawings where one object or drawing represents one data value. Describe the displays (ACMSP263)
Year 2 Mathematics:
- Identify a question of interest based on one categorical variable. Gather data relevant to the question (ACMSP048)
- Collect, check and classify data (ACMSP049)
- Create displays of data using lists, table and picture graphs and interpret them (ACMSP050)
General capabilities: Numeracy, Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Foundation Year Health and Physical Education achievement standards: Students use personal and social skills when working with others in a range of activities.
Relevant parts of Year 1 – 2 Health and Physical Education achievement standards: Students recognise how strengths and achievements contribute to identities. Students demonstrate positive ways to interact with others.
Relevant parts of Foundation Year Mathematics achievement standards: Students answer simple questions to collect information and make simple inferences.
Relevant parts of Year 2 Mathematics achievement standards: Students collect, organise and represent data to make simple inferences.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Bluey – Foundation to Year 2.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding:
- Art supplies – coloured pencils and textas
- Chairs – one per student
- Clipboard (optional) – one per student
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Student Worksheet – one copy per student
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
This activity has been developed in partnership with Ludo Studio. We would like to acknowledge the support of ABC Kids, BBC Studios, Screen Australia and Screen Queensland.