Quick summary: This lesson is based on Bluey, Season 2, Stumpfest. It focuses on the capability of mindfulness. Students identify their Important Place, a space where they can go to relax and practise mindfulness when they are feeling overwhelmed by the world. They create an artwork communicating what their Important Place means to them.
This is an official Bluey lesson that celebrates the joy and curiosity of Bluey and allows students to build social and emotional intelligence. Most of all it has been designed to inspire creativity and imagination in your students!
Lesson values: This lesson has been designed to provide opportunities for students to explore social and emotional learning through imaginative play. All lessons in the Bluey series are underpinned by a philosophy of play and imagination. In addition, this lesson specifically focuses on…
Click here for a full list of values, and the explanation of our learning philosophy that underpins these lessons.
These lessons have been developed to support social and emotional learning, oral language development and play-based learning. To find out more, click here.
Foundation Health and Physical Education
- Identify and describe emotional responses people may experience in different situations (ACPPS005)
- Identify actions that promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS006)
Year 1 -2 Health and Physical Education
- Recognise situations and opportunities to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS018)
- Identify and practise emotional responses that account for own and others’ feelings (ACPPS020)
Foundation to Year 2 Visual Art
- Explore ideas, experiences, observations and imagination to create visual artworks and design, including considering ideas in artworks by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists (ACAVAM106)
- Create and display artworks to communicate ideas to an audience (ACAVAM108)
General capabilities: Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Foundation Year Health and Physical Education achievement standards: Students identify and describe the different emotions people experience. They identify actions that help them be healthy, safe and physically active.
Relevant parts of Year 1 – 2 Health and Physical Education achievement standards: Students identify how emotional responses impact on others’ feelings. They select and apply strategies to keep themselves healthy.
Relevant parts of Foundation to Year 2 Visual Art achievement standards: Students make artworks in different forms to express their ideas, observations and imagination.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Bluey – Foundation to Year 2.
Time required: 35 – 45 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – Teacher leads the class in mindfulness practice, and supports them in their independent work.
- Art supplies – coloured pencils and textas
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- White paper – A3 size – one per student.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
This activity has been developed in partnership with Ludo Studio. We would like to acknowledge the support of ABC Kids, BBC Studios, Screen Australia and Screen Queensland.