Quick summary: Students explore the concept of a social enterprise. After reviewing prior knowledge students identify what a social enterprise is. They then look at the global Problem Solvers series and how the action the GPS team took could be converted into a social enterprise. Students then explore and analyse social enterprises in their community and present their research with the class. Finally they are asked to imagine a social enterprise they would like to be a part of.
These lessons have been developed in partnership with Cisco. Cisco believes that our future will be defined by global problem solvers – global citizens ready to thrive in a connected and digital future by thinking like entrepreneurs, innovating like technologists, and acting as agents of social change.
- Students understand what a social enterprise is and what they can do
- Students recognise a range of different social enterprises.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 6 HASS
- The reasons businesses exist and the different ways they provide goods and services (ACHASSK151)
- Locate and collect relevant information and data from primary sources and secondary sources (ACHASSI123)
- Evaluate evidence to draw conclusions (ACHASSI129)
- Work in groups to generate responses to issues and challenges (ACHASSI130)
- Present ideas, findings, viewpoints and conclusions in a range of texts and modes that incorporate source materials, digital and non-digital representations and discipline-specific terms and conventions (ACHASSI133)
Syllabus outcomes: GE3-4.
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking.
Relevant parts of Year 6 HASS achievement standards: Students identify the purpose of business and recognise the different ways that businesses choose to provide goods and services. They locate and collect useful data and information from primary and secondary sources. They reflect on their learning to propose action in response to an issue or challenge and describe the probable effects of their proposal. They present ideas, findings, viewpoints and conclusions in a range of communication forms that incorporate source materials, mapping, graphing, communication conventions and discipline-specific terms.
Topic: Enterprise Learning.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Cisco Global Problem Solvers – HASS – Years 5 & 6.
Time required: 60 minutes.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – oversee class discussions and group activities.
- Student Worksheet – one copy per student.
- Device capable of presenting a website to the class.
Keywords: Cisco, Global Problem Solvers, business, social enterprise, community.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.