Quick summary: Through class discussion, students will be encouraged to think about some of the major issues associated with solid waste and waste disposal. This includes looking at the four Rs: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Students will then be asked to consider three different types of waste and how these relate to the four Rs.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in Schools Clean Up Day. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.
- Students recognise that we all have a responsibility to reduce the amount of solid waste we produce.
- Students understand that there are different ways to reduce the amount of waste that we produce.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 3 English:
- Listen to and contribute to conversations and discussions to share information and ideas and negotiate in collaborative situations (ACELY1676)
Year 3 Science:
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
Year 4 English:
- Interpret ideas and information in spoken texts and listen for key points in order to carry out tasks and use information to share and extend ideas and information (ACELY1687)
Year 4 Science:
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
Year 4 Geography:
- The use and management of natural resources and waste, and the different views on how to do this sustainably (ACHASSK090)
Topic: Solid Waste
Duration of activity: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – lead a discussion on waste and recycling.
Resources required: Art materials, computer with internet access.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension or homework.
Safety: No special requirements.
Key words: Rubbish, waste, landfill, refuse, reuse, reduce, recycling.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.