Quick summary: Students will create a short film in which they consider concepts of personal responsibility and active citizenship as they relate to the litterbug. They will investigate the environmental and social impacts of littering.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in Schools Clean Up Day or a Clean Up on any day of the year. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.
- Students understand the social and environmental implications of littering
- Students begin to take responsibility for unwanted food packaging
- Students will rethink the concept of why people litter.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 English
- Use interaction skills when discussing and presenting ideas and information, selecting body language, voice qualities and other elements, (for example music and sound) to add interest and meaning (ACELY1804)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements to promote a point of view or enable a new way of seeing (ACELY1720)
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, selecting aspects of subject matter and particular language, visual, and audio features to convey information and ideas (ACELY1725)
Year 8 English
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content, including multimodal elements, to reflect a diversity of viewpoints (ACELY1731)
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that raise issues, report events and advance opinions, using deliberate language and textual choices, and including digital elements as appropriate (ACELY1736)
Syllabus outcomes: EN4-3B.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking Literacy.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.3, OI.8.
Topic: Waste, Clean Up.
Time required: 60+ mins.
- Device with movie editing software
- Recording device
- Various props as required, computer with movie editing software.
Keywords: Food, packaging, waste, litter.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.