Quick summary: Students will create a short film in which they consider concepts of personal responsibility and active citizenship as they relate to the litterbug. They will investigate the environmental and social impacts of littering.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in Schools Clean Up Day. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.
- Students understand the social and environmental implications of littering.
- Students begin to take responsibility for unwanted food packaging.
- Students will rethink the concept of why people litter.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 7 English:
- Use interaction skills when discussing and presenting ideas and information, selecting body language, voice qualities and other elements, (for example music and sound) to add interest and meaning (ACELY1804)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements to promote a point of view or enable a new way of seeing (ACELY1720)
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, selecting aspects of subject matter and particular language, visual, and audio features to convey information and ideas (ACELY1725)
Year 8 English:
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content, including multimodal elements, to reflect a diversity of viewpoints (ACELY1731)
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that raise issues, report events and advance opinions, using deliberate language and textual choices, and including digital elements as appropriate (ACELY1736)
Syllabus Outcomes: EN4-3B.
Topic: Solid waste, Clean Up Australia.
Time required: 60+ mins
Resources required: Various props as required, computer with movie editing software, recording device.
Digital learning opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities, multimedia.
Homework and extension opportunities: Students have the opportunity to extend their films to incorporate economic and health implications of littering.
Keywords: Food, packaging, waste, litter.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.