Quick summary: Students will consider why and how people litter, then develop a campaign to convince litterbugs to refuse, reduce, reuse and recycle. They will consider the environmental and social impacts of littering.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in Schools Clean Up Day or a Clean Up on any day of the year. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.
- Students understand the social and environmental implications of littering
- Students begin to take responsibility for unwanted food packaging
- Students will rethink the concept of why people litter and how they can change litterbugs value set.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 English
- Create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts that present a point of view and advance or illustrate arguments, including texts that integrate visual, print and/or audio features (ACELY1746)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements for aesthetic and playful purposes (ACELY1741)
- Use interaction skills to present and discuss an idea and to influence and engage an audience by selecting persuasive language, varying voice tone, pitch, and pace, and using elements such as music and sound effects (ACELY1811)
Year 10 English
- Create sustained texts, including texts that combine specific digital or media content, for imaginative, informative, or persuasive purposes that reflect upon challenging and complex issues (ACELY1756)
- Identify and explore the purposes and effects of different text structures and language features of spoken texts, and use this knowledge to create purposeful texts that inform, persuade and engage (ACELY1750)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations, selecting and sequencing appropriate content and multimodal elements to influence a course of action (ACELY1751)
Syllabus outcomes: EN5-2A, EN5-1A, EN5-3B.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.3, OI.8.
Topic: Waste, Clean Up.
Time required: 60+ mins.
- Access to device with editing software
- Poster making materials
- Various props as required.
Keywords: Food, packaging, waste, litter.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.