Quick summary: Students learn about the concept of environmental footprints. They will learn how to measure their impact and take steps to reduce their personal footprint. Students make comparisons between the lifestyles of people 100 years ago and the current mainstream, considering the impact of consumerism on environmental footprints.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in Schools Clean Up Day or a Clean Up on any day of the year. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.
- Students understand their impact on the Earth
- Students take responsibility for their personal actions
- Students compare the impact on our environment between the past resource and our current resource use.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 5 Geography
- The influence of people, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, on the environmental characteristics of Australian places (ACHASSK112)
- The environmental and human influences on the location and characteristics of a place and the management of spaces within them (ACHASSK113)
Year 5 Science
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE081)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
- Use equipment and materials safely, identifying potential risks (ACSIS088)
Year 6 Science
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE098)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
- Use equipment and materials safely, identifying potential risks (ACSIS105)
Syllabus outcomes: GE3-3, GE3-2, ST3-4WS, ST3-6PW, ST3-4WS.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.3, OI.8.
Topic: Waste, Clean Up.
Time required: 60 – 120 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium.
- Magazines and newspapers
- Student Worksheet.
Keywords: Food, resources, energy, waste, water, footprint, environment, history.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.