Quick summary: In this activity students learn about the concept of environmental footprints. They will learn how to measure their impact and take steps to reduce their personal footprint. Students make comparisons between the environmental footprint of a traditional indigenous lifestyle and a modern lifestyle.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in Schools Clean Up Day. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.
- Students understand their impact on the Earth.
- Students take responsibility for their personal actions.
- Students compare the impact on our environment between the past resource use by Aboriginals and our current resource use.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 5 Geography:
- The influence of people, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, on the environmental characteristics of Australian places (ACHASSK112)
- The environmental and human influences on the location and characteristics of a place and the management of spaces within them (ACHASSK113)
Year 5 Science:
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE081)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE217)
- Use equipment and materials safely, identifying potential risks (ACSIS088)
Year 6 Science:
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE098)
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE220)
- Use equipment and materials safely, identifying potential risks (ACSIS105)
Additional Cross-curriculum priorities: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures
Time required: 60 – 120 mins
Resources required: Magazines and newspapers, Student Worksheet.
Digital learning opportunities: Get your students to complete a digital footprint:
Keywords: Food, resources, energy, waste, water, footprint, environment, Indigenous, waste, litter.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.