Quick summary: Students will create a presentation in which they consider concepts of personal responsibility and active citizenship as they relate to the litterbug. They will investigate the environmental and social impacts of littering.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in Schools Clean Up Day or a Clean Up on any day of the year. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.
- Students understand the social implications of littering
- Students begin to take responsibility for unwanted food packaging
- Students will rethink the concept of why people litter.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 4 English
- Create literary texts by developing storylines, characters and settings (ACELT1794)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations incorporating learned content and taking into account the particular purposes and audiences (ACELY1689)
- Create literary texts that explore students’ own experiences and imagining (ACELT1607)
Year 5 English
- Create literary texts using realistic and fantasy settings and characters that draw on the worlds represented in texts students have experienced (ACELT1612)
- Clarify understanding of content as it unfolds in formal and informal situations, connecting ideas to students’ own experiences and present and justify a point of view (ACELY1699)
- Plan, rehearse and deliver presentations for defined audiences and purposes incorporating accurate and sequenced content and multimodal elements (ACELY1700)
- Understand the use of vocabulary to express greater precision of meaning, and know that words can have different meanings in different contexts (ACELA1512)
Year 6 English
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
Syllabus outcomes: EN2-10C, EN2-2A, EN2-6B, EN3-1A, EN3-2A, EN3-6B, EN3-7C.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.3, OI.8.
Topic: Waste, Clean Up.
Time required: 60+ mins
- Various props as required.
Keywords: Food, packaging, waste, litter.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.