Quick summary: Students will learn about recycling, separating rubbish and how we can use re-use items rather than put them in the waste bin! Students will understand the importance of reducing landfill waste and explore ways in which we can be creative and re-use items. They create a new product out of some school yard waste and design a TV advert for their new product.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your school to take part in Schools Clean Up Day. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change.
Learning goals for this activity include:
- Students develop a sense of responsibility around the waste that they produce.
- Students identify different ways that waste can be recycled and reused
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 3 English
- Listen to and contribute to conversations and discussions to share information and ideas and negotiate in collaborative situations (ACELY1676)
Year 3 Science
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE051)
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS060)
Year 4 Science
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effect of their actions (ACSHE062)
- Represent and communicate ideas and findings in a variety of ways such as diagrams, physical representations and simple reports (ACSIS071)
Year 4 Geography
- The use and management of natural resources and waste, and the different views on how to do this sustainably (ACHASSK090)
Time needed: 120 minutes, plus extra time for students to collaboratively create a TV advert.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium
Resources needed: A range of packaging items, scissors, glue, paint, string etc, filming equipment if you want to record the students presentations.
Digital technology opportunities: Tablets (iPads) for recording.
Assumed prior learning: Functional knowledge of the school’s waste system.
Key words: Waste, recycling, resource, rubbish, landfill, contamination.
Safety: Ask students to create some rules for working with litter. Students should wear rubber gloves and/or tongs when collecting and handling litter.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.