Quick summary: In this activity students need to think of a place in nature that is special to them and why it is special to them. They will then create a work of art based on this special place. Students are then asked to share their work of art with other students, explaining why they chose this place, and how their work represents this place and their feelings towards it.
This lesson is part of the CLIMARTE unit. The unit is designed to help students build their knowledge of climate change by exploring the topic through the arts. By harnessing the creative power of the Arts, CLIMARTE aim to inform, engage and inspire real action on climate change. Following this lesson plan is an ideal way to expose your kids to climate change through the medium of art.
We’ve taken elements of this lesson and adapted them for remote learning. You can find this activity here.
- Students understand that people need nature for different reasons.
- Students identify ways of visually representing personal relationships with nature.
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 3 Geography
- The similarities and differences between places in terms of their type of settlement, demographic characteristics and the lives of the people who live there, and people’s perceptions of these places (ACHASSK069)
Year 4 Geography
- The importance of environments, including natural vegetation, to animals and people (ACHASSK088)
Years 3 & 4 Visual Arts
- Explore ideas and artworks from different cultures and times, including artwork by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, to use as inspiration for their own representations (ACAVAM110)
- Use materials, techniques and processes to explore visual conventions when making artworks (ACAVAM111)
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate discussion, assist students in creating and displaying artwork.
Resources required: Internet access, art making materials, student worksheet (optional).
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Nature, art.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.