Quick summary: Students investigate our present and future resources of fresh water. They examine some of the current issues and compare different views about managing water resources. Students then write an essay on one water issue of their choice.
- Students recognise key concepts around water, including personal water saving behaviours.
- Students communicate effectively in fair and considered class-wide discussion on issues.
- Students demonstrate the ability to read, evaluate and interpret information about the issues.
- Students demonstrate the ability to use online tools to complete activity (extension).
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 Science
- Some of Earth’s resources are renewable, but others are non-renewable (ACSSU116)
- Water is an important resource that cycles through the environment (ACSSU222)
- Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and make predictions based on scientific knowledge (ACSIS124)
Year 7 English
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret, analyse and synthesise ideas and information, critiquing ideas and issues from a variety of textual sources (ACELY1723)
Year 8 Science
- Identify questions and problems that can be investigated scientifically and make predictions based on scientific knowledge (ACSIS139)
- Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and use scientific understanding to identify relationships and draw conclusions(ACSIS145)
Year 8 English
- Analyse and evaluate the ways that text structures and language features vary according to the purpose of the text and the ways that referenced sources add authority to a text (ACELY1732)
General Capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.8.
Year levels: 7 and 8
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 30 mins
Learning areas addressed: Geography, English, Health and Physical Education.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead students in a discussion around water.
Resources required: Internet access and writing materials.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity has opportunities for homework or extension.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Copyright 2016© Cool Australia. You may view, display, printout and copy this material for non-commercial educational purposes provided you retain all acknowledgement associated with this material.