Quick summary: Students explore the basic properties of water at room temperature.
Key lessons and understandings of activity:
- Water has special properties different to solid things. We use the properties of water in our lives.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Science
- Respond to and pose questions, and make predictions about familiar objects and events (ACSIS024)
- Compare observations with those of others (ACSIS213)
Year 2 Science
- Respond to and pose questions, and make predictions about familiar objects and events (ACSIS037)
- Compare observations with those of others (ACSIS041)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-4WS.
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 20 min
Learning areas addressed: Science.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Lead the students in a class discussion around water. Tidy up to keep paper from getting wet before activity starts.
Resources required: Bowls of water and one plastic bottle of water for each group.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.