Quick summary: In this lesson, students will explore the consequences of violence and the factors that make people more or less likely to experience violence in their lives. Students will evaluate their own risk and protective factors and create strategies to support members of their community that are at risk of experiencing or perpetrating violence.
The STOP the Coward Punch education package aims to spread awareness about the devastating effects of the coward punch on our community. This education package was developed by a team of experts, including a youth worker, education specialist and specialist teachers and references the latest research and laws on coward punches.
- Students will explore the consequences of aggression for various people connected to an event
- Students will understand the risk and protective factors associated with violent behaviour.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 7 & 8 Health and Physical Education:
- Analyse factors that influence emotions, and develop strategies to demonstrate empathy and sensitivity (ACPPS075)
- Plan and use health practices, behaviours and resources to enhance health, safety and wellbeing of their communities (ACPPS077)
Syllabus outcomes: PDHPE4.3, PDHPE4.6, PDHPE4.7, PDHPE4.8, PDHPE4.11, PDHPE4.13
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Years 7 & 8 achievement standards:
Students investigate strategies and practices that enhance their own, others’ and community health, safety and wellbeing. They demonstrate skills to make informed decisions, and propose and implement actions that promote their own and others’ health, safety and wellbeing.
Topic: Social Issues, Health & Wellbeing
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work STOP the Coward Punch: HPE – Years 7 & 8.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – provide support as students work through the activities in this lesson.
- Butchers paper and markers
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
Related professional development: Strategies for Dealing with Aggressive and Violent Behaviours
Keywords: coward punch, violence, aggression, risk factors, protective factors, community, strategy
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.