Quick summary: In this lesson, students will develop a social campaign that stands against violence. They will identify a group that they identify closely with and assess the needs of their audience, developing a targeted campaign that educates or supports change within this group.
The STOP the Coward Punch education package aims to spread awareness about the devastating effects of the coward punch on our community. This education package was developed by a team of experts, including a youth worker, education specialist and specialist teachers and references the latest research and laws on coward punches.
- Students will understand how identification with your audience is essential in building effective social campaigns
- Students will understand how to design a campaign strategy.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 9 & 10 Health and Physical Education:
- Plan, implement and critique strategies to enhance health, safety and wellbeing of their communities (ACPPS096)
Syllabus outcomes: PD5-2, PD5-6,PD5-7, PD5-8, PD5-9, PD5-10
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Years 9 & 10 achievement standards:
Topic: Social Issues
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work STOP the Coward Punch: HPE – Years 9 & 10.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion.
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
Related professional development: Strategies for Dealing with Aggressive and Violent Behaviours
Keywords: campaign, social impact, strategy, health promotion, coward punch, violence, community, education
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.