Quick summary: In this lesson, students will work in pairs using various leading and following techniques. They will workshop a dance that represents conflict between two people and challenges the audience to think about the impact of a Coward Punch.
The STOP the Coward Punch education package aims to spread awareness about the devastating effects of the coward punch on our community. This education package was developed by a team of experts, including a youth worker, education specialist and specialist teachers and references the latest research and laws on coward punches.
- Students will explore leading and following in partner dancing
- Students will understand how to express conflict through movement.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 9 & 10 Dance:
- Improvise to find new movement possibilities and explore personal style by combining elements of dance (ACADAM020)
- Manipulate combinations of the elements of dance and choreographic devices to communicate their choreographic intent (ACADAM021)
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Years 9 & 10 achievement standards:
Students analyse the choreographer’s use of the elements of dance, choreographic devices, form and production elements to communicate choreographic intent in dances they make, perform and view. Students choreograph dances by manipulating and combining the elements of dance, choreographic devices, form and production elements to communicate their choreographic intent. They choreograph, rehearse and perform dances, demonstrating technical and expressive skills appropriate to the genre and style.
Topic: Social Issues
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work STOP the Coward Punch: The Arts – Years 7 to 10.
Time required: 70 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – support students to experiment safely and use appropriate dance elements in meeting their choreographic intent.
- Device capable of creating audiovisual recordings, such as an iPad or camera (optional)
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class.
Related professional development: Strategies for Dealing with Aggressive and Violent Behaviours
Keywords: coward punch, one punch, violence, conflict, contrast, dance, movement
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.