Quick summary: In this lesson, students revise and understand the Elements of Drama from the Australian Curriculum. They learn about Danny Green’s Stop the Coward Punch campaign and analyse a TV commercial for the elements of drama that have been used. Through a collaborative learning activity, students build their knowledge of how the Elements of Drama can be used to shape dramatic meaning for an audience.
The STOP the Coward Punch education package aims to spread awareness about the devastating effects of the coward punch on our community. This education package was developed by a team of experts, including a youth worker, education specialist and specialist teachers and references the latest research and laws on coward punches.
- Students will understand the elements of drama and can identify their use in dramatic texts
- Students will develop an awareness of the STOP the Coward Punch campaign
- Students will improvise using dramatic elements.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 7 & 8 Drama:
- Combine the elements of drama in devised and scripted drama to explore and develop issues, ideas and themes (ACADRM040)
- Analyse how the elements of drama have been combined in devised and scripted drama to convey different forms, performance styles and dramatic meaning (ACADRR045)
Syllabus outcomes: DRAA4.3.1, DRAM4.1.2
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Years 7 & 8 achievement standards:
Students identify and analyse how the elements of drama are used, combined and manipulated in different styles. They apply this knowledge in drama they make and perform. Students collaborate to devise, interpret and perform drama. They manipulate the elements of drama, narrative and structure to control and communicate meaning.
Topic: Social Issues
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work STOP the Coward Punch: Arts – Years 7 to 10.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: A medium level of teacher scaffolding is required in this lesson. The teacher will facilitate class discussion and observe groups interacting, encouraging their creativity.
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class with connection to the internet
- Student Worksheet – one per student.
Related professional development: Strategies for Dealing with Aggressive and Violent Behaviours
Keywords: coward punch, violence, elements of drama, analysis, dramatic elements, drama
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.