Quick summary: In this lesson, students will observe and analyse a basic experiment around falling objects and rebound heights. Finally, they will apply this knowledge to understanding how and why head injuries can have severe outcomes.
The STOP the Coward Punch education package aims to spread awareness about the devastating effects of the coward punch on our community. This education package was developed by a team of experts, including a youth worker, education specialist and specialist teachers and references the latest research and laws on coward punches.
- Students will investigate the forces associated with a coward punch (as a result of the fall)
- Students will investigate the effect of falling on different surfaces
- Students will understand that these forces are sufficient to cause significant injury or death.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 Science:
- Change to an object’s motion is caused by unbalanced forces, including Earth’s gravitational attraction, acting on the object (ACSSU117)
Syllabus outcomes: SC4-10PW
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability, Ethical Understanding
Relevant parts of Year 7 achievement standards:
Students represent and predict the effects of unbalanced forces, including Earth’s gravity, on motion.
Topic: Social Issues
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work STOP the Coward Punch: Science – Years 9 & 10.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium to High – teacher will moderate class discussions, run group activities and demonstrations, as well as facilitate learning around a topic of violence which will require sensitivity and nuance.
- Device capable of creating audiovisual recordings with slow playback (optional)
- Device capable of presenting video or images to the class
- Medical Effects Of One Punch Article
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
Related professional development: Strategies for Dealing with Aggressive and Violent Behaviours
Keywords: forces, medicine ball, bounce, impact, coward punch, one punch, violence
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.