Quick summary: In this lesson, students will learn about the stages of dealing with a criminal act from commission through to sentencing. They will plot each of the stages and related roles on a timeline to consolidate their learning.
The STOP the Coward Punch education package aims to spread awareness about the devastating effects of the coward punch on our community. This education package was developed by a team of experts, including a youth worker, education specialist and specialist teachers and references the latest research and laws on coward punches.
- Students will understand how a criminal trial operates in Australia
- Students will understand the roles and responsibilities of parties in a criminal trial.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Civics and Citizenship:
- Identify, gather and sort information and ideas from a range of sources and reference as appropriate (ACHCS083)
- Recognise and consider multiple perspectives and ambiguities, and use strategies to negotiate and resolve contentious issues (ACHCS086)
Syllabus outcomes: N/A
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Ethical Understanding
Relevant parts of Year 9 achievement standards:
Students explain the key principles of Australia’s system of justice. They reflect on how groups participate and contribute to civic life. When researching, students analyse a range of questions to investigate Australia’s legal systems and critically analyse information gathered from different sources for relevance and reliability.
Topic: Social Issues
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work STOP the Coward Punch: Civics and Citizenship – Years 7 to 10.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – some explicit teaching required, then the teacher will support students with related activities.
- Blank A4 sheets of paper – one per student
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
Related professional development: Strategies for Dealing with Aggressive and Violent Behaviours
Keywords: criminal law, criminal trials, coward punch, one punch law, timeline, plot
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.