Quick summary: In this lesson, students will unpack what it means to be tough. They will explore traditional ideas of ‘acting tough’ and learn about mental toughness and grit. They will go on to develop a social campaign that aims to shift their peer group’s focus away from physical toughness towards mental toughness.
The STOP the Coward Punch education package aims to spread awareness about the devastating effects of the coward punch on our community. This education package was developed by a team of experts, including a youth worker, education specialist and specialist teachers and references the latest research and laws on coward punches.
- Students understand the difference between ‘acting tough’ and being mentally tough
- Students understand the components of grit.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 7 & 8 Health and Physical Education:
- Investigate and select strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS073)
- Plan and use health practices, behaviours and resources to enhance health, safety and wellbeing of their communities (ACPPS077)
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Years 7 & 8 achievement standards:
Students investigate strategies and practices that enhance their own, others’ and community health, safety and wellbeing. They demonstrate skills to make informed decisions, and propose and implement actions that promote their own and others’ health, safety and wellbeing.
Topic: Social Issues
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work STOP the Coward Punch: HPE – Years 7 & 8.
Time required: 150+ mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – teachers will lead class discussions and monitor activities.
- Butchers paper (optional)
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Grit Survey (optional) – one copy per student
Related professional development: Strategies for Dealing with Aggressive and Violent Behaviours
Keywords: grit, mental toughness, tough, toughness, physical toughness, acting tough, coward punch, social campaign, social action, social media
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.