Quick summary: In this lesson, students will use what they have learnt about body systems to investigate an issue in society – the coward punch. They will review the nature and complexity of all major body systems before focusing on the nervous and endocrine systems and their role in reacting to situations of fear or anger.
The STOP the Coward Punch education package aims to spread awareness about the devastating effects of the coward punch on our community. This education package was developed by a team of experts, including a youth worker, education specialist and specialist teachers and references the latest research and laws on coward punches.
- Students will revise the various body systems, their purposes and interactions
- Students will understand the stress response of the body associated with anger and fear via examination of the adrenaline pathway.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Science:
- Multi-cellular organisms rely on coordinated and interdependent internal systems to respond to changes to their environment (ACSSU175)
Syllabus outcomes: SC5-14LW
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Year 9 achievement standards:
Students analyse how biological systems function and respond to external changes with reference to interdependencies, energy transfers and flows of matter
Topic: Social Issues
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work STOP the Coward Punch: Science – Years 9 & 10.
Time required: 75 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – teacher will moderate class discussions, run group activities and demonstrations, as well as facilitate learning around a topic of violence which will require sensitivity and nuance.
- Device capable of presenting video and images to the class
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student.
Related professional development: Strategies for Dealing with Aggressive and Violent Behaviours
Keywords: body systems, nervous system, endocrine system, coward punch, violence, one punch, reaction
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.