Quick summary: Students work collaboratively to imagine a brighter future around the theme of sustainability, then work independently to create an artwork that shows how this will look. This artwork can be submitted to the Create Your Mark for a Brighter Future Creative Competition.
Subjects: HASS, Visual Arts
Year level: Years 3 & 4
Teaching time: 125+ minutes
This lesson has been developed in partnership with Faber-Castell. Faber-Castell has long understood the importance of creativity to all people, especially young people. to motivate and express themselves and bring ideas to life. Faber-Castell manufacture high-quality creative materials to enhance children’s creative experiences throughout every development phase.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 3 & 4 Visual Arts:
- Explore ideas and artworks from different cultures and times, including artwork by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, to use as inspiration for their own representations (ACAVAM110)
- Use materials, techniques and processes to explore visual conventions when making artworks (ACAVAM111)
- Present artworks and describe how they have used visual conventions to represent their ideas (ACAVAM112)
Relevant parts of Years 3 & 4 achievement standards: Students describe and discuss similarities and differences between artworks they make and those to which they respond. They discuss how they and others organise the elements and processes in artworks. Students collaborate to plan and make artworks that communicate ideas.
Year 4 HASS:
- The use and management of natural resources and waste, and the different views on how to do this sustainably (ACHASSK090)
Relevant parts of Year 4 HASS achievement standards: Students identify the interconnections between components of the environment and between people and the environment.
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
This lesson is part of the Create Your Mark Creative Competition set of lessons.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – Lead students in class discussions and brainstorming activity. Support students in planning and creating artworks, and submit artworks to the competition.
- Art materials, including Faber-Castell products (see recommendations in the teacher content information)
- Create Your Mark for a Brighter Future Creative Competition details
- Device to share a clip with students
- Planning table (one for each group)
- Space for sharing artworks with an audience (could be a digital or physical space).
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.