Quick summary: Students think about some of the challenges for the future that concern them and create an artwork to show their vision for this challenge in the future. This artwork can be submitted to the Faber-Castell Create Your Mark for a Brighter Future Creative Competition.
Subjects: HASS, Visual Arts
Year level: Years 5 & 6
Teaching time: 180 minutes
This lesson has been developed in partnership with Faber-Castell. Faber-Castell has long understood the importance of creativity to all people, especially young people. to motivate and express themselves and bring ideas to life. Faber-Castell manufacture high-quality creative materials to enhance children’s creative experiences throughout every development phase.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 5 & 6 Visual Arts
- Explore ideas and practices used by artists, including practices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, to represent different views, beliefs and opinions (ACAVAM114)
- Develop and apply techniques and processes when making their artworks (ACAVAM115)
- Plan the display of artworks to enhance their meaning for an audience (ACAVAM116)
Relevant parts of Years 5 & 6 achievement standards: Students explain how ideas are communicated in artworks they make and to which they respond. Students structure elements and processes of arts subjects to make artworks that communicate meaning. They work collaboratively to share artworks for audiences, demonstrating skills and techniques.
Year 5 HASS
- Reflect on learning to propose personal and/or collective action in response to an issue or challenge, and predict the probable effects (ACHASSI104)
Relevant parts of Year 5 HASS achievement standards: They work with others to generate alternative responses to an issue or challenge and reflect on their learning to independently propose action, describing the possible effects of their proposed action.
Year 6 HASS
- Reflect on learning to propose personal and/or collective action in response to an issue or challenge, and predict the probable effects (ACHASSI132)
Relevant parts of Year 6 HASS achievement standards: They reflect on their learning to propose action in response to an issue or challenge and describe the probable effects of their proposal.
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
This lesson is part of the Create Your Mark Creative Competition set of lessons.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – Support students in brainstorming ideas and in creating artworks according to the competition guidelines. Oversee scanning/photographic artworks for the competition, and submit the artworks.
- Art materials, including Faber-Castell products (see recommendations in the teacher content information)
- Artwork Flashcards
- Butcher’s paper and markers
- Create Your Mark for a Brighter Future Creative Competition details
- Device to share a clip with students
- Planning table (one for each group)
- Space for sharing artworks with an audience (could be a digital or physical space).
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.