Quick summary: Students imagine how their school might be a brighter and happier place for people, plants and animals in the future. Students then create an artwork to demonstrate their ideas. This artwork can be submitted to the Faber-Castell Create Your Mark for a Brighter Future Creative Competition.
Subjects: HASS, Visual Arts
Year level: Foundation, Years 1 & 2
Topics: Creative Thinking, Sustainability. Click here for more lessons on Creative Thinking. Click here for more lessons on Sustainability.
Teaching time: 120+ minutes
This lesson has been developed in partnership with Faber-Castell. Faber-Castell has long understood the importance of creativity to all people, especially young people. to motivate and express themselves and bring ideas to life. Faber-Castell manufacture high-quality creative materials to enhance children’s creative experiences throughout every development phase.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Foundation to Year 2 Visual Arts
- Explore ideas, experiences, observations and imagination to create visual artworks and design, including considering ideas in artworks by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists (ACAVAM106)
- Use and experiment with different materials, techniques, technologies and processes to make artworks (ACAVAM107)
- Create and display artworks to communicate ideas to an audience (ACAVAM108)
Relevant parts of Foundation to Year 2 achievement standards: Students describe artworks they make and those to which they respond. Students use the elements and processes of arts subjects to make and share artworks that represent ideas.
- The reasons why some places are special to people, and how they can be looked after (ACHASSK017)
Year 1 HASS
- The natural, managed and constructed features of places, their location, how they change and how they can be cared for (ACHASSK031)
Relevant parts of Foundation achievement standards: Students reflect on their learning to suggest ways they can care for a familiar place.
Relevant parts of Year 1 HASS achievement standards: Students describe how places can be cared for.
Syllabus outcomes: VAS1.1, VAS1.2, GEe-1, GE1-1
General capabilities: Critical and Creative Thinking
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
This lesson is part of the Create Your Mark Creative Competition set of lessons.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – Lead students in a walk outdoors to assess school features and guide class discussions around dreams for a brighter future. Support students in planning and creating artworks and submit artworks to the competition.
- Art materials, including Faber-Castell products (see recommendations in the teacher content information)
- Create Your Mark for a Brighter Future Creative Competition details
- Device to share a clip with students
- Space for sharing artworks with an audience (could be a digital or physical space).
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.