Quick summary: Students explore their school environment and consider how it makes them feel, focusing on aspects of sustainability. They identify areas in their school that could be enhanced to become more environmentally, socially or economically sustainable. With this information in mind, students imagine and create a design that represents their ideas on what a sustainable school would look like. Students use colour pencil drawing techniques to create their design, which will the feature on the front of a postcard students write on to share their description of a sustainable school.
Faber-Castell has long understood the importance of creativity to all people, especially to young people. It is also continuously searching for environmentally friendly processes and high-quality materials to enhance children’s creative experience throughout every development phase. For more information about Faber-Castell, click here.
- Students consider ways in which their school environment could be more sustainable, socially, economically and environmentally.
- Students use imagination, innovation and problem solving skills to create a design of the future.
- Students understand a simplified design process and learn to experiment with drawing techniques.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 7 & 8 Visual Arts:
- Develop ways to enhance their intentions as artists through exploration of how artists use materials, techniques, technologies and processes (ACAVAM119)
- Practise techniques and processes to enhance representation of ideas in their art-making (ACAVAM121)
Syllabus outcomes: VAS4.5, VAS4.6.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
Relevant parts of year 7 & 8 achievement standards: Students plan their art making in response to exploration of techniques and processes used in their own and others’ artworks. They demonstrate use of visual conventions, techniques and processes to communicate meaning in their artworks.
Topic: Sustainability, Creative Thinking.
Unit of work: Creative Sustainability – Years 7 & 8 – Visual Arts
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate discussion and outdoor activity, assist with art techniques.
Resources required: Student Worksheets – one copy per student. Colour Grip Pencils, Fine Liners, Postcard template printed on recycled paper or card.
Keywords: sustainability, environment, design, postcard, school.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.