Quick summary: Students review the waste management system in the school, develop a plan to cut the amount of solid waste in the school and suggest ideas to cut the amount of paper used by the school.
- Students learn that everyone in the schools produces solid waste and the school is already taking steps to reduce this waste.
- Students recognise that there are steps that the school community can all take to cut this waste even further.
Australian Curriculum content descriptions:
Year 5 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to analyse information, integrating and linking ideas from a variety of print and digital sources (ACELY1703)
Year 5 Science:
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE083)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, includingmulti-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Year 6 English:
- Use comprehension strategies to interpret and analyse information and ideas, comparing content from a variety of textual sources including media and digital texts (ACELY1713)
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinions (ACELY1709)
Year 6 Science:
- Scientific knowledge is used to inform personal and community decisions (ACSHE100)
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinion (ACELY1709)
- Communicate ideas, explanations and processes in a variety of ways, including multi-modal texts (ACSIS093)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST3-6PW, ST3-4WS, EN3-1A, EN3-3A.
Topic: Solid Waste
Time required: several 48 mins sessions.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – direct activity.
Resources required: Art materials, computer with internet access.
Digital learning opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: School, waste, 4Rs, reduce, reuse, refuse, recycle.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.