Quick summary: Students work in pairs to review the important issue of sustainable use of water resources. Students also discover the most appropriate way to find credible information about this issue on the internet.
Students are given time to find internet material that they evaluate according to a set of criteria.
Students identify websites that are credible, useful, and informative.
- Student evaluate the sources of information about water resources found on the internet. Justifying claims about the credibility of websites.
- Students identify what information is needed to make informed decisions about the allocation of water resources.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 9 Science
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE160)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS172)
Year 9 English
- Interpret, analyse and evaluate how different perspectives of issue, event, situation, individuals or groups are constructed to serve specific purposes in texts (ACELY1742)
Year 10 Science
- People can use scientific knowledge to evaluate whether they should accept claims, explanations or predictions (ACSHE194)
- Critically analyse the validity of information in secondary sources and evaluate the approaches used to solve problems (ACSIS206)
Year 10 English
- Use comprehension strategies to compare and contrast information within and between texts, identifying and analysing embedded perspectives, and evaluating supporting evidence (ACELY1754)
Year levels: 9 and 10
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor
Time required: 2 x 45 mins.
Learning areas addressed: Science, Geography, English, ICT.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students with additional key words when searching, draw together students’ conclusions about the usefulness of internet material about water issues.
Resources required: Internet, writing materials Student Worksheet.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: water, sustainable, resource, evaluate.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.