Year level: Year 10
Topics: Ethics, Social Issues, Health & Wellbeing, Organ and Tissue Donation
Teaching time: 75 minutes
Quick summary: In this lesson, students grapple with the real-world problem: What consent model is best for organ and tissue donation in Australia, ensuring it is ethical, effective and acceptable to the majority of the population? Students read about the issue and understand the status quo. They then explore multiple perspectives by preparing arguments for debate.
This lesson has been created in partnership with DonateLife to get young Australians talking about organ and tissue donation.
Organ, eye and tissue donation saves lives, restores health and improves the quality of life for thousands of Australians each year. But did you know that only 2% of people who die in hospitals each year can be considered for organ donation? One organ donor can save the lives of up to seven people and help many more through eye and tissue donation.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 10 English:
- Identify and explore the purposes and effects of different text structures and language features of spoken texts, and use this knowledge to create purposeful texts that inform, persuade and engage (ACELY1750)
- Identify and analyse implicit or explicit values, beliefs and assumptions in texts and how these are influenced by purposes and likely audiences (ACELY1752)
- Use comprehension strategies to compare and contrast information within and between texts, identifying and analysing embedded perspectives, and evaluating supporting evidence (ACELY1754)
Syllabus outcomes: EN5-1A, EN5-2A, EN5-8D
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Ethical Understanding
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability
Relevant parts of Year 10 achievement standards: Students create a wide range of texts to articulate complex ideas. They make presentations and contribute actively to class and group discussions, building on others’ ideas, solving problems, justifying opinions and developing and expanding arguments.
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work DonateLife: Exploring Organ and Tissue Donation – Years 9 & 10.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – facilitate class discussion and debate and support students to comprehend academic articles.
- A device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Consent Model Articles (one article for each group member)
- Consent Systems Factsheet (online access)
- International Consent Models Graph (online access)
- Organ Donation Process Factsheet (online access)
- Student Worksheets – one copy per student
- Transplantation And Donation Activity Report 2021 (online access).
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.