Quick summary: Students locate, observe and record their observations of insects or minibeasts in a school ground or garden environment.
- Students record their observations, which includes a diagram.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 1 Science
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
- Living things have a variety of external features (ACSSU017)
Year 1 English
- Create short imaginative and informative texts that show emerging use of appropriate text structure, sentence-level grammar, word choice, spelling, punctuation and appropriate multimodal elements, for example illustrations and diagrams (ACELY1661)
Year 2 Science
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Year 2 English
- Create short imaginative, informative and persuasive texts using growing knowledge of text structures and language features for familiar and some less familiar audiences, selecting print and multimodal elements appropriate to the audience and purpose (ACELY1671)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-4WS, ST1-10LW, EN1-2A.
Year levels: 1 and 2
Indoor or outdoor activity: Outdoor
Time required: 45 mins
Learning areas addressed: Science.
Resources required: Printed worksheets, art materials.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity can be repeated as homework.
Keywords: insects, minibeasts, invertebrates, garden, pond.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.