Quick summary: In this activity, students examine and weigh the waste that has been collected over one week from the teacher’s household. They will also bring to class one item of packaging that they think is excessive. Students will then be asked to think critically about the amount of packaging that is used to wrap the things we use every day, and to think creatively about how this packaging could be reused. This activity is in two parts and requires some preparation to collect one week’s worth of rubbish and examples of excessive packaging.
- Students learn that we create a lot of waste in our daily lives.
- Students understand that we can recycle much of this waste.
- Students understand that we can think carefully about what we buy so that we aren’t contributing unnecessarily to the waste problem.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 7 Mathematics
- Investigate, interpret and analyse graphs from authentic data (ACMNA180)
Year 7 Science
- Some of Earth’s resources are renewable, but others are non-renewable (ACSSU116)
- Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation types, including fieldwork and experiments, ensuring safety and ethical guidelines are followed (ACSIS125)
Year 8 Mathematics
- Choose appropriate units of measurement for area and volume and convert from one unit to another (ACMMG195)
Year 8 Science
- Collaboratively and individually plan and conduct a range of investigation types, including fieldwork and experiments, ensuring safety and ethical guidelines are followed (ACSIS140)
- Construct and use a range of representations, including graphs, keys and models to represent and analyse patterns or relationships, including using digital technologies as appropriate (ACSIS144)
- Summarise data, from students’ own investigations and secondary sources, and use scientific understanding to identify relationships and draw conclusions (ACSIS145)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC4-5WS, SC4-6WS, SC4-7WS, SC4-12ES.
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: High – collect waste items, assist students in activity.
Resources required: Waste items for one week (teacher to collect), large buckets, plastic bags, scales, writing materials, graph paper, and art and craft materials. Access to the Internet
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity requires involvement from students prior to class time activity and has opportunities for homework.
Safety: The teacher should ensure that all items used in the activity are clean and safe. Students sorting waste should use gloves and tongs.
Keywords: Waste, recycling, packaging, home, weight.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.