Quick summary: This activity is designed to encourage children to participate in growing their own food, develop an understanding of where their food comes from, how much time it takes for food to grow, what is needed to grow food, what they can make with the food that they grow. Younger children will explore the garden and produce using all of their senses, while older children will create a special place using edible plants and be involved in the full process of growing food from seed to table.
This activity is designed to help connect children to the wonders of the natural world through sensory and play-based learning.
EYLF Learning Outcome
Outcome 1: Children have a strong sense of identity
4. Children learn to interact in relation to others with care, empathy and respect.
Outcome 2: Children are connected with and contribute to their world
1. Children develop a sense of belonging to groups and communities and an understanding of the reciprocal rights and responsibilities necessary for active civic participation.
4. Children become socially responsible and show respect for the environment
Outcome 3: Children have a strong sense of wellbeing
2. Children take increasing responsibility for their own health and physical wellbeing
Outcome 4: Children are involved and confident learners
1. Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity
2. Children develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, enquiry, experimentation, hypothesising, researching and investigating
Equipment needed: You will need an area of garden / garden beds / suitable containers for planting your edible garden; seeds and seedlings; watering cans; access to water (preferable rain water from a tank); rulers; large bamboo stakes; rope; twine.
- Cool Australia – Earth Hour 2015 Fresh is Best
- Cool Australia – Enviroweek Green Thumb Activities
- Cool Australia – Not every carrot can be a supermodel!
- Cool Australia – Bugs in the Garden
- Sustainable Gardening Australia – http://www.sgaonline.org.au/edible-gardening/veggie-patch/
7 Tips for Head Start and Pre-school Edible Gardens – http://youtu.be/YwbwdGaTEgU
Cool Australia would like to acknowledge the support of the Seedlings Early Years Education for Sustainability (EYEfS) program.