Quick summary: In this activity children are asked to think about some of the places in our environment where animals live. Younger children are invited to look at flashcards with images of places in our environment, and will match images of animals to these places. Older children will also match images of animals to places in our environment, but will also begin to explore how and why we should look after these places. They will begin to make connections between their personal behaviours and the health of these places and animals, by switching off lights and appliances for Earth Hour Schools Day.
In 2017, WWF is celebrating 10 years of Earth Hour and 10 years of progress on changing climate change. Our actions on climate change will shape the future for our children. They know more about climate change than any other generation. And they have extraordinary views on what they want for their planet. You and your children can become a part of the movement and start to take action on climate change by visiting earthhour.org.au to register for Lights Out or find your local event. Take part and register for Earth Hour Schools Day on Friday the 24th March and don’t forget to switch off on Earth Hour, on Saturday 25th March 8:30-9:30pm. Switch off to #JoinTheFuture.
EYLF Learning Outcome
Outcome 2: Children are connected with and contribute to their world
3. Children become socially responsible and show respect for the environment
Outcome 4: Children are involved and confident learners
1. Children develop dispositions for learning, such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity
2. Children develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, enquiry, experimentation, hypothesising, researching and investigating
3. Children resource their own learning through connecting with people, place, technologies, and natural and processed materials
Outcome 5: Children are effective communicators
1. Children interact verbally and non verbally with others for a range of purposes
3. Children express ideas and make meaning using a range of media
- Our Place Flashcards
- Animal flashcards
- Other assets you have in your service that relate to the images in the flashcards, such as toys, images, shells, feathers, leaves, sand etc.
- Our kids are switching off this Earth Hour – Poster
Cool Australia would like to acknowledge the support of the Seedlings Early Years Education for Sustainability (EYEfS) program.