Quick summary: In this activity students are introduced to the topic of weather. Students begin by watching a short clip about weather and identifying the types of weather present in the video and those that are absent. Students then use photos from the Cool Australia Toolbox to create a poster or montage about weather.
This activity has been created in partnership with WWF-Australia. Earth Hour is the world’s largest community-driven climate change campaign. At the centre of Earth Hour is switching off lights to show a commitment to taking action. Thousands of teachers use Earth Hour’s education program to enrich their curriculum and provide pathways for young people to create change in their world.
For the most up to date Earth Hour dates, times, and events, check here.
- Students recognise a range of different weather types.
- Student recognise the ways that weather can affect our environment.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.1.
Australian Curriculum content description:
Year 1 Science
- Observable changes occur in the sky and landscape (ACSSU019)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS029)
Year 2 Science
- Science involves asking questions about, and describing changes in, objects and events (ACSHE034)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas in a variety of ways such as oral and written language, drawing and role play (ACSIS042)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST1-4WS, ST1-8ES.
Topic: Climate change
Time required: 60 mins
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate discussion and oversee activity.
Resources required: Internet access, student worksheet, access to printer.
Digital technology opportunities: Searching for and downloading images from the Cool Australia Digital Toolbox, digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for extension.
Keywords: Weather, animals, plants, photos.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.