Quick summary: These five games have been designed to engage your students with Earth Hour in a fun and enjoyable way. The activities are: Animal Mask Making Guide, Illuminated Display Guide, Lantern Making Guide, Panda Face Painting Guide, Make Your Own Wind Turbine.
(Note: You will need to download the game files from the website before downloading the teacher worksheet PDF).
This lesson has been created in partnership with WWF-Australia. Earth Hour is the world’s largest community-driven climate change campaign. At the centre of Earth Hour is switching off lights to show a commitment to taking action. Thousands of teachers use Earth Hour’s education program to enrich their curriculum and provide pathways for young people to create change in their world.
Join the program and take part in Earth Hour Schools Day on Friday the 23rd March 2018. You can also involve family and friends in Earth Hour on Saturday 24th March 2018 8:30-9:30pm.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Australian Curriculum content description: This lesson can be used with all the learning areas of the Australian Curriculum. Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Topic: Earth Hour
Time required: Teachers direction
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – assist students in activities.
- Animal masks – scissors, glue or sticky tape, markers, coloured pencils, crayons, glitter pens etc.
- Illuminated display – Paper bags, smart candles.
- Lanterns – Heavy paper or card (white or coloured), printed template (page 4), scissors,glue or sticky tape, markers, coloured pencils, crayons, glitter pens etc.
- Face painting – Face paint, sponge, water, mirror, bucket of water, comfy chair.
- Wind turbine – Scissors, a piece of recycled card/strong paper, a piece of coloured card, a stick or strong drinking straw, a drawing pin or thumbtack, glue or gluestick, a hammer (optional).
Digital technology opportunities: None.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: Earth Hour, games, illuminated display, lanterns, face painting, wind turbine.