Quick summary: These five games have been designed to engage your students with Earth Hour in a fun and enjoyable way. The activities are: Animal Mask Making Guide, Illuminated Display Guide, Lantern Making Guide, Panda Face Painting Guide, Make Your Own Wind Turbine.
(Note: You will need to download the game files from the website before downloading the teacher worksheet PDF).
In 2017, WWF is celebrating 10 years of Earth Hour and 10 years of progress on changing climate change. Our actions on climate change will shape the future for our children. They know more about climate change than any other generation. And they have extraordinary views on what they want for their planet. You and your students can become a part of the movement and start to take action on climate change by visiting earthhour.org.au to register for Lights Out or find your local event. Take part and register for Earth Hour Schools Day on Friday the 24th March and don’t forget to switch off on Earth Hour, on Saturday 25th March 8:30-9:30pm. Switch off to #JoinTheFuture.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking.
Australian Curriculum content description: This lesson can be used with all the learning areas of the Australian Curriculum. Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.
Topic: Earth Hour
Time required: Teachers direction
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – assist students in activities.
- Animal masks – scissors, glue or sticky tape, markers, coloured pencils, crayons, glitter pens etc.
- Illuminated display – Paper bags, smart candles.
- Lanterns – Heavy paper or card (white or coloured), printed template (page 4), scissors,glue or sticky tape, markers, coloured pencils, crayons, glitter pens etc.
- Face painting – Face paint, sponge, water, mirror, bucket of water, comfy chair.
- Wind turbine – Scissors, a piece of recycled card/strong paper, a piece of coloured card, a stick or strong drinking straw, a drawing pin or thumbtack, glue or gluestick, a hammer (optional).
Digital technology opportunities: None.
Homework and extension opportunities: None.
Keywords: Earth Hour, games, illuminated display, lanterns, face painting, wind turbine.