Quick summary: In this activity students will create four different ecosystems in a shoebox. They will begin by researching different ecosystems, then create and collect all the parts necessary for each of those ecosystems.
(If using a shoebox is too difficult or will take too long, use a large piece of art paper divided into quarters.)
- Students learn that ecosystems are made up of a wide variety of elements, including those living and non living.
- Student recognise that relationships within an ecosystem work together to form a sustainable balance.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 5 Science
- Living things have structural features and adaptations that help them to survive in their environment (ACSSU043)
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to solve problems that directly affect peoples’ lives (ACSHE083)
Year 6 Science
- The growth and survival of living things are affected by the physical conditions of their environment (ACSSU094)
- Science involves testing predictions by gathering data and using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena (ACSHE098)
Syllabus Outcomes: ST3-7PW, ST3-4WS, ST3-10LW, ST3-11LW.
Year levels: 5 and 6
Indoor or outdoor activity: Indoor/Outdoor
Time required: 45+ mins
Learning areas addressed: Science, Technology, Geography, Sustainability, Art.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Assist students in research and ecosystem construction, provide materials for ecosystems.
Resources required: Shoe box or other similar sized box for each student or group, scissors, rulers, permanent ink markers, glue, cardboard pieces to fit into boxes, sand, dirt, potting soil, magazine pictures or plastic animals, clumps of grass, twigs, rocks, small paper cups, coloured paper, Internet access, Student worksheet 1 (optional).
Homework and extension opportunities: This activity can be extended for several lessons.
Keywords: ecosystems, shoebox, diorama.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.