Year Level: Years 3 & 4.
Topics: Editing, information text, facts, science, biology, habitats, categories, paragraphs, echidnas, platypus, writing.
Teaching Time: 50 minutes
Quick summary: This lesson strongly scaffolds students through the process of editing an information text by categorising discreet facts into more coherent sections and paragraphs. Students also learn about echidnas and platypuses.
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 English:
- Understand that paragraphs are a key organisational feature of written texts (ACELA1479)
- Re-read and edit texts for meaning, appropriate structure, grammatical choices and punctuation (ACELY1683)
Year 4 English:
- Understand how texts are made cohesive through the use of linking devices including pronoun reference and text connectives (ACELA1491)
- Re-read and edit for meaning by adding, deleting or moving words or word groups to improve content and structure (ACELY1695)
Syllabus outcomes: EN2-9B, EN2-2A
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking.
Relevant parts of Year 3 English achievement standards: Students understand how content can be organised using different text structures depending on the purpose of the text. They re-read and edit their writing, checking their work for appropriate vocabulary, structure and meaning.
Relevant parts of Year 4 English achievement standards: Students understand that texts have different text structures depending on purpose and context. They demonstrate understanding of grammar, select vocabulary from a range of resources and use accurate spelling and punctuation, re-reading and editing their work to improve meaning.
Topic: English Skills.
Level of teacher scaffolding: High –
- Coloured pens or highlighters x5
- Echidna Information Text – one copy per student. It would also be useful to print a large (A3) version of this for your demonstration
- (Optional) Platypus Information Text – one copy per student.
- Scaffolded Categories Worksheet – one copy per students who require additional support
- Student workbooks
- Student writing materials.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.