Quick summary: This activity has been designed to support early learning centres joining in Enviroweek. By participating in this activity, children will be given the opportunity to learn more about reducing, reusing and recycling (the “3 Rs”). Students will take action to reduce their waste footprint.
This activity is designed to help connect children to the environment through sensory and play-based learning.
Following this lesson plan is an ideal way for your centre to take part in Enviroweek. You’ll be joining thousands of amazing educators and teachers in making a difference and creating positive environmental change. Simply sign in using your Cool Australia login details.
EYLF Learning Outcome
Outcome 2: Children are connected with and contribute to their world
3. Children become socially responsible and show respect for the environment
Outcome 4: Children are involved and confident learners
1. Children develop dispositions for learning such as curiosity, cooperation, confidence, creativity, commitment, enthusiasm, persistence, imagination and reflexivity
2. Children develop a range of skills and processes such as problem solving, enquiry, experimentation, hypothesising, researching and investigating
3. Children transfer and adapt what they have learned from one context to another
4. Children resource their own learning through connecting with people, place, technologies and natural and processed materials
- Access to Jack Johnson’s 3Rs song, which can be found here: 3Rs Song – Please note that this song’s copyright belongs to the artist. Permission is granted to use it for non-profit, educational purposes only. Commercial use is strictly prohibited. The source for this song: Honolulu Department of Environmental Services. The lyrics for this song are in the “Student Worksheet” part of this resource.
- A range of waste materials, such as tin cans, soft drink bottles, bottle lids, plastic tubs, paper, newspapers, magazines, corks, boxes, milk cartons etc. Make sure that all waste is clean and that sharp edges have been covered with masking tape OR the 3Rs flashcards.
- Find out which items can be recycled in your area. Contact your local council for information on what is accepted in your area.
- Cool Australia Waste Toolbox
- Cool Australia Waste video (see below)
Cool Australia would like to acknowledge the support of the Seedlings Early Years Education for Sustainability (EYEfS) program.