Although this can be completed as a standalone lesson, it will be most effective if completed within the sequence of the unit, as follows:
- Know The Internet
- You Decide
- Feeling Fishy Online
- Express Yourself Safely
- My Social Brain
- Cleaning Up
The eSafety for Kids education package was developed in consultation with a team of experts, including a child and adolescent psychologist, education specialist, teachers, parents and in reference to the latest research and guidelines (at time of publication). It is designed to align with the recommendations in the Best Practice Framework for Online Safety Education (eSafety Commissioner).
The images for this eSafety for Kids package are sourced from The Tweeting Galah book series and used with permission from Kim Maslin.
- Students understand that consent means saying yes and that it is never their fault if someone else acts without their consent.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Years 5 & 6 Health and Physical Education:
- Plan and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS054)
- Examine the influence of emotional responses on behaviour and relationships (ACPPS056)
- Recognise how media and important people in the community influence personal attitudes, beliefs, decisions and behaviours (ACPPS057)
Year 5 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive print and multimodal texts, choosing text structures, language features, images and sound appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1704)
Year 6 English:
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative, informative and persuasive texts, choosing and experimenting with text structures, language features, images and digital resources appropriate to purpose and audience (ACELY1714)
- Participate in and contribute to discussions, clarifying and interrogating ideas, developing and supporting arguments, sharing and evaluating information, experiences and opinions (ACELY1709)
Relevant parts of Years 5 & 6 HPE achievement standards:
Students recognise the influence of emotions on behaviours and discuss factors that influence how people interact. They describe their own and others’ contributions to health, physical activity, safety and wellbeing.
Relevant parts of Years 5 & 6 Health and Physical Education achievement standards:
Students explain the influence of people and places on identities. They recognise the influence of emotions on behaviours and discuss factors that influence how people interact. They describe their own and others’ contributions to health, physical activity, safety and wellbeing.
Relevant parts of Year 5 English achievement standards:
Students create imaginative, informative and persuasive texts for different purposes and audiences.
Relevant parts of Year 6 English achievement standards:
Students create detailed texts elaborating on key ideas for a range of purposes and audiences. They make presentations and contribute actively to class and group discussions, using a variety of strategies for effect.
Topic: Health & Wellbeing, Social Issues
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work eSafety For Kids.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion and support idea development.
- Play-it-safe Rules For Online Worksheet – one digital or A3 copy per student
- Consent Continuum – digital or A3 colour copy
- Consent Vocabulary Worksheet – one copy per student
- Device to display visual content
- Glossary of Key Terms (optional)
- Handling Sensitive Topics and Issues Factsheet (digital copy)
- Student devices (optional)
- Super 10 Play-it-safe Rules For Kids And Grownups – digital or printed copies.
Keywords: consent, safety, trust, tricky people, online, boundaries, permission, sharing
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.