Quick summary: Change can be hard, but not changing can be even harder the longer we allow things to stay not quite how we’d like them to be. Everyone is capable of improving themselves, whether building on strengths, mitigating weaknesses, or developing an entirely new aspect of ourselves.
This lesson provides students with significant scaffolding to enable them to identify and set goals and to plan and stick to a routine that works towards the achievement of these goals. Students will also compare and contrast positive and negative mindsets, and explore how they can adjust their inner voice to overcome demotivating talk. They will come to understand that change doesn’t happen all at once; but with perseverance and a clear strategy of gradual improvement, change can and will happen eventually.
The health and fitness-related tasks undertaken throughout the Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy lessons are gamified, providing incentivised learning opportunities and allowing for some personalisation. Therefore, we recommend students complete the full Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy unit to benefit from the full experience, completing this lesson first.
The Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy is a unit of work designed in collaboration with the Sydney Swans to promote health and wellbeing amongst students in years 3 to 6. It is designed to align with, and provide further depth to, the in-schools Volkswagen Footy Fit program for years 2 to 6.
- Students will critically evaluate aspects of their life they may wish to change
- Students will explore goal-setting strategies
- Students will practise persistence in pursuit of a goal
- Students will identify negative mindsets they may possess
- Students will explore positive self-talk they can use to counter this negativity.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 & 4 Health and Physical Education
- Explore how success, challenge and failure strengthen identities (ACPPS033)
- Explore strategies to manage physical, social and emotional change (ACPPS034)
- Identify and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS036)
Year 5 & 6 Health and Physical Education
- Plan and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS054)
Syllabus outcomes: GDS2.9, PHS2.12, PHS2.12, SLS2.13, SLS2.13
General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability
Relevant parts of Years 3 & 4 achievement standards:
Students recognise strategies for managing change. They understand the benefits of being healthy and physically active.
Relevant parts of Years 5 & 6 achievement standards:
Students describe the key features of health-related fitness and the significance of physical activity participation to health and wellbeing.
Topic: Health & Wellbeing
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy – HPE – Years 3-6
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – students work independently.
- Art supplies – coloured pencils
- Banner Template – one copy per student
- Device capable of creating audiovisual recordings, such as an iPad or camera
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Future Self Letter Template – one copy per student (optional)
- Routine and Habit Changer Planner – one copy per student
- Routine and Habit Changer Schedule (Years 3 & 4) – one copy per student
- Routine and Habit Changer Schedule (Years 5 & 6) – one copy per student
- Student Worksheet – one copy per student
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy Tokens (from Lesson 1)
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy Game Plan (from Lesson 1)
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy Framework
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Stadium Scoreboard (from Lesson 1)
- White paper – one piece per student.
Keywords: habit, persistence, goal-setting, positive mindset, motivation, Sydney Swans, AFL, footy, fitness, Volkswagen, Footy Fit.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.