Quick summary: In this introductory lesson, students will be familiarised with the Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy scoring framework. They will design a uniform for their personal avatar and explore the importance of pulling together a support team.
The health and fitness-related tasks undertaken throughout the Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy lessons are gamified, providing incentivised learning opportunities and allowing for some personalisation. Therefore, we recommend students complete the full Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy unit to benefit from the full experience, completing this lesson first.
The Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy is a unit of work designed in collaboration with the Sydney Swans to promote health and wellbeing amongst students in years 3 to 6. It is designed to align with, and provide further depth to, the in-schools Volkswagen Footy Fit program for years 2 to 6.
- Students understand the importance of having a support team and being a supportive member of other people’s teams
- Students understand the role of culture and design features in uniform design principles
- Students understand the scoring system of AFL
- Students understand the Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy framework.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 3 & 4 HPE
- Explore strategies to manage physical, social and emotional change (ACPPS034)
- Identify and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS036)
- Research own heritage and cultural identities, and explore strategies to respect and value diversity (ACPPS042)
Year 5 & 6 HPE
- Plan and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS054)
- Recognise how media and important people in the community influence personal attitudes, beliefs, decisions and behaviours (ACPPS057)
- Identify how valuing diversity positively influences the wellbeing of the community (ACPPS060)
Year 3 Mathematics
- Recall addition facts for single-digit numbers and related subtraction facts to develop increasingly efficient mental strategies for computation (ACMNA055)
Year 4 Mathematics
- Investigate number sequences involving multiples of 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, and 9 (ACMNA074)
Year 5 Mathematics
- Use efficient mental and written strategies and apply appropriate digital technologies to solve problems (ACMNA291)
Year 6 Mathematics
- Select and apply efficient mental and written strategies and appropriate digital technologies to solve problems involving all four operations with whole numbers (ACMNA123)
- Investigate everyday situations that use integers. Locate and represent these numbers on a number line (ACMNA124)
Years 3 & 4 Visual Arts
- Explore ideas and artworks from different cultures and times, including artwork by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, to use as inspiration for their own representations (ACAVAM110)
Years 5 & 6 Visual Arts
- Explain how visual arts conventions communicate meaning by comparing artworks from different social, cultural and historical contexts, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artworks (ACAVAR117)
Syllabus outcomes: GDS2.9, PHS2.12, PHS3.12, IRS2.11, IRS3.11, SLS3.13, DMS3.2, MA2‑1WM, MA2‑2WM, MA2‑3WM, MA2‑5NA, MA2‑5NA, MA2‑8NA, MA3‑1WM, MA3‑2WM, MA3‑3WM, MA3‑5NA, MA3‑6NA, VAS2.1, VAS3.3, VAS3.4
Cross-curriculum priority: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures (OI.1, OI.9)
Relevant parts of Years 3 & 4 HPE achievement standards:
Students interpret health messages and discuss the influences on healthy and safe choices. They understand the benefits of being healthy and physically active. They describe the connections they have to their community and identify local resources to support their health, wellbeing, safety and physical activity.
Relevant parts of Years 5 & 6 HPE achievement standards:
Students describe their own and others’ contributions to health, physical activity, safety and wellbeing. They describe the key features of health-related fitness and the significance of physical activity participation to health and wellbeing. They examine how physical activity, celebrating diversity and connecting to the environment support community wellbeing and cultural understanding.
Relevant parts of Year 3 Mathematics achievement standards:
Students recall addition and multiplication facts for single-digit numbers. They continue number patterns involving addition and subtraction.
Relevant parts of Year 4 Mathematics achievement standards:
Students continue number sequences involving multiples of single-digit numbers.
Relevant parts of Year 5 Mathematics achievement standards:
Students solve simple problems involving the four operations using a range of strategies.
Relevant parts of Year 6 Mathematics achievement standards:
Students locate fractions and integers on a number line.
Relevant parts of Years 3 & 4 Visual Arts achievement standards:
Students discuss how they and others use visual conventions in artworks.
Relevant parts of Years 5 & 6 Visual Arts achievement standards:
Students describe characteristics of artworks from different social, historical and cultural contexts that influence their art-making.
Topic: Health & Wellbeing
This lesson is part of the wider unit of work Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy – HPE – Years 3-6
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Medium – facilitate class discussion and introduce activities.
- Art supplies – coloured pencils, etc.
- Device capable of presenting a video to the class
- Student Worksheet – one copy per student
- Support Team Worksheet – one copy per students
- Sydney Swans Support Team Chart – digital copy
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy Game Plan – one copy per student (optional)
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy Scoring Framework – one copy per teacher
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Academy Tokens – one copy per student
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Avatar Worksheet – one copy per student
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Certificate of Completion – one for each student as per Scoring Framework
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Certificate of Participation – one for each student as per Scoring Framework
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Rising Star Award – awarded to some students as per Scoring Framework
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Team Roles – one A3 copy to be filled per class upon completion of the unit
- Volkswagen Footy Fit Stadium Scoreboard – one A3 copy per student.
Keywords: support, network, team, creative, art, design, Indigenous Round, avatar, tokens, multiplication, dice footy, mathematics, culture, skills, Sydney Swans, AFL, footy, fitness, Volkswagen, Footy Fit.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.