Quick summary: Students undertake research to explore the role of fossils in supporting the theory of evolution. They communicate their understanding of the importance of fossils by rewriting the lyrics of a song by a ‘fossil’ and sharing their lyrics with the class.
- Students understand the role of fossils in the theory of evolution.
- Students will identify examples of fossils used to support the theory of evolution.
21st century skills:
Australian Curriculum Mapping
Year 10 Science
- The theory of evolution by natural selection explains the diversity of living things and is supported by a range of scientific evidence (ACSSU185)
- Communicate scientific ideas and information for a particular purpose, including constructing evidence-based arguments and using appropriate scientific language, conventions and representations (ACSIS208)
Year 10 English
- Create sustained texts, including texts that combine specific digital or media content, for imaginative, informative, or persuasive purposes that reflect upon challenging and complex issues (ACELY1756)
Syllabus Outcomes: SC5-14LW.
General capabilities: Critical and creative thinking, Literacy.
Cross-curriculum priority: Sustainability OI.2.
Relevant parts of Year 10 Science achievement standards: Students explain the processes that underpin heredity and evolution.
Relevant parts of Year 10 English achievement standards: Students create a wide range of texts to articulate complex ideas.
Time required: 60 mins.
Level of teacher scaffolding: Low – oversee activity.
Resources required: Fossils and evolution factsheet, Evidence for evolution factsheet, Internet access, library access (optional). Student Worksheet – one copy per student OR computers/tablets to access the online worksheet.
Digital technology opportunities: Digital sharing capabilities.
Homework and extension opportunities: Includes opportunities for homework and extension.
Keywords: Fossil, fossil record, theory of evolution, music, lyrics.
Cool Australia’s curriculum team continually reviews and refines our resources to be in line with changes to the Australian Curriculum.